Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Olivia graduates

Haven't posted in a while. This is mostly the result of the temperature. Pulling weeds all day in 90 degree heat turns me into a sleepy irene who has just enough brain function to figure out how to work a dvd player and the snooze button. Also, I have kind of been busy doing stuff around the home base lately due to watering schedules and things so I have not gone on any exciting adventures lately. Will be heading to North Creek Nurseries tomorrow though, and Morris Arboretum next week. This weekend is devoted to Philadelphia and seeing some of the historicky things.

Catalpas are out right now and looking good.



My first instinct was to emasculate these:


IN OTHER NEWS

One of my sisters is about to graduate from high school, and as is to be expected, I am neither attending her graduation nor going to have her gift finished in time.

Just trying to keep it real.

But, just so that she knows that she is in fact getting something, as she has had to deal with my flakiness for something like 18 years now, I thought I would post proof that I am nearing the completion of the project, and include the awesome poem (i know, i know) that i wrote for her.

JUDGE NOT LEST YE BE JUDGED k?

To Olivia

We are sisters always.
We have been bound together,
By the tribal laws and sunny days,
By the whirling sweetness and ferocity
Of a common childhood.
We know each others' hearts,
And hold the keys
To secret joys and secret grief.

We keep vigil over the other's past.
To the outside world we all grow old,
But not to each other.
We live outside the touch of time.
For I knew you when your hands were small,
And your eyes were wide,
When your soul breathed freely,
Unfettered by the strangeness of this world.

Secret plans and hidden doors,
Sticks and stones and swings.
A witness and a mirror,
A partner in crime and a steady companion,
The one who sings the loudest
Queen of the summer country now obscured
I laugh when you laugh,
Because we know all the best jokes.

Here is the "physical proof" (internet oxymoron?) that I am actually working on the project. As of now it is 2/3 complete. Three sets of eight panels, just in case you're wondering.



Anyway, congratulations Olivia! I know all your speeches will go great because you are great.


No comments:

Post a Comment